It all started on the morning of May 16, 2012 at 7:02AM. I heard it before I felt it. It sounded like a train rolling through. It was loud. Then we started to shake and quake, jerk and jolt, shake and quake and then the train left. It was a 4.6 and was 19 miles southwest of our home in the Cook Inlet.
I was quickly greeted by two bright eyed kids with tears swelling in their eyes. It was their first big one. D man was already in my bed due to a nightmare. Thank goodness. Sis sat and cried frozen in her bed. S had just gotten up to go to the bathroom and jumped right back into his bed. We are taught the triangle pattern. No longer are you taught to jump under a table or bed. It is best to be at an angle so you have more chance for survival if things tumble. It also allows for air pockets to breathe. So they say. I don't care to test it. It was a rough way to start a day.
But, Daddy finally (really) felt his first earthquake. He slept through the others that I woke up for.
We routinely feel them here but usually they are in the 2 zone. So a 4 was the biggest yet. During a 2 quake, you feel a thud and you are left wondering if it was or wasn't. A 4 means there is NO MISTAKE...it is an earthquake. I don't think I care to experience a 7 or 9.

No comments:
Post a Comment