Thursday, May 10, 2012

Talkeetna: Flights, Fun and Food

Our first visitor has come to Alaska!  Who you ask...my brother Christopher.


All my life I have been fascinated with airplanes and the physics behind flying.  I have always wanted to get a pilot license.  When we moved to Alaska, I told D I would do it.  For Christmas he gave me my first flight lesson.  I DID IT!  And I brought my brother along with me too.  He too has a fascination with planes and wants to fly someday.  What better way to start it than in Talkeetna together?  I can't think of a better scenario.

We got the kids to school and enjoyed our drive to Talkeetna Airport.  Of course it is a cloudy day and we cannot see McKinley.  The best months for viewing McKinley are February and October for those of you that want to see it.  Less than 20% of visitors get to see her full majesty.  I still haven't yet.  I will wait.  But I can assure you...when I see it, I will capture it.


Here is our plane- A CHAMP Click for more details.


I was like a giddy school girl.  I couldn't wipe that silly smile off of my face.  I learned about the aircraft.  How to make a right and left hand turn.  How to steady it with the wind and turbulence.  It was amazing.  My instructor was Lance.  He was great help and super calm.  On landing we had a crosswind.  A beaver attempted 4 times to land and couldn't get it, but we did our first shot.  Crabbing and landing nose first on a tail dragger.  SO RAD - yes I am reverting back to the slang from the 80's.    My favorite part in the air was doing the "rollercoaster".  Side to side at a perpendicular angle to the ground and then up and down pulling 4G's.  It was amazing.
The face.  I was totally in shock and awe.

The instrument panel and view.

The rudder and tail controls with brakes.

Then my brother went up.  He too couldn't wipe that smirking grin off of his face.  I think I can easily become addicted to being in the air over such beautiful country.  Then off to fill our tummy with an awesome burger before heading back home.  What a day! WHAT A DAY! 




No comments:

Post a Comment